GTD 2006.4: Using Google to tame Outlook
Today's Getting Things Done Tip is for anyone who needs a big stick to whack their Outlook into shape for the start of the new year: Use Google to tame Outlook.
1. Create a new folder in Outlook called Reference.
2. Dump all your existing folders in Outlook about everything except currently active projects into Reference.
3. Get the current Google Desktop, Version 2, free from Google at http://desktop.google.com/ and install it. Let it index Outlook for you.
4. Stop filing emails except if they go into a currently active project; just dump them in Reference and let Google sort them out.
4. If and when you need something that's not part of a currently active project, use the Google Desktop Search to find it.
It takes about 25% of the net time filing everything in a multitude of folders and then manually searching those folders for one item takes.
This is part 1 of my taming Outlook approach: part 2 tomorrow.
(Technorati tags: GTD)